Applicants for architectural registration must:

  • Be at least 21 years of age and of good moral character
  • AND
  • Have obtained a professional degree in architecture from a program accredited by the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB);
  • Complete the NCARB Architectural Experience Program (AXP), formerly the Intern Development Program (IDP); and
  • Pass the Architect Registration Examination (ARE)
  • OR
  • Hold a current NCARB Certificate; and
  • Have successfully completed all portions of the NCARB exams administered by NCARB standards at the date of your initial registration. If you passed the NCARB examination prior to 1965, when the seismic test was not included, please contact board staff.

  • Registration by Examination

    Education Information

    The National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB) is the sole agency authorized to accredit US professional degree programs in architecture.

    To learn more about NAAB, or to see if a particular architecture program is accredited, refer to the NAAB website.

    Experience / AXP Information

    The Architectural Experience Program (AXP), formerly the Intern Development Program (IDP), is a profession-wide, comprehensive internship program that contributes to the development of architects. The program was created to ensure that graduates from architecture programs would acquire the necessary discipline, integrity, judgment, skills and knowledge to practice architecture.

    Refer to the NCARB website for more information concerning the AXP.

    Exam Information

    The Architect Registration Examination (ARE) examines candidates for their knowledge, skills and ability to provide the various services required in the design and construction of buildings.

    For more information on the ARE, refer to the NCARB website.

    Registration by Reciprocity

    Architects registered to practice in another state may apply for registration by reciprocity. Applicants must:

  • Hold certification with NCARB; and
  • Have successfully completed all portions of the NCARB exams administered by NCARB standards at the date of their initial registration. Applicants who passed the NCARB examination prior to 1965, when the seismic test was not included, should contact board staff.

  • Military spouses applying for registration should notify board staff immediately. Reciprocity applications from military spouses will be expedited and given priority status. Executive Order 2012-11

    IMPORTANT: Completion of the reciprocity process, and issuance of a license, is mandatory before any activities constituting the practice of architecture may begin for projects located in Nevada. Failure to comply with this state law is a misdemeanor and may result in the denial of your registration.

    NRS 623.180: No person may practice architecture or use the title of architect; or practice residential design or use the title residential designer; or practice as a registered interior designer or use the title of registered interior designer in this state without having a certificate issued to him or her under the provisions of this chapter.

    Temporary Certificate

    Temporary certificates of registration to practice architecture are available for the purposes of presenting a proposal for professional services or qualifications. Persons applying for a temporary certificate must be NCARB-certified.

    For more information on temporary certificates, see NRS 623.182 or call the board office.


    Application Forms (if sent from the board office) $ 25
    Application Processing (registration by examination) $ 50
    Application Processing (reciprocal registration) $300
    Certificate (one time fee, upon initial registration) $125
    Temporary Certificate of Registration $500
    Annual Registration $180
    Annual Registration (prorated for initial registration in November or December) $ 90
    Stamp (registration by examination only) $ 25
    Late renewal of an expired certificate within 1 year after expiration (in addition to annual registration fee) $220
    Late renewal of a certificate which has been expired for more than 1 year, but not more than 3 years (in addition to annual registration fee) $300
    Restoration of a revoked certificate $300
    Replacement of a certificate $ 30

    Stamping Requirements

    NAC 623.750 Seal for architect.

    1. Each architect shall obtain and possess an embossed seal or a seal designed as a rubber stamp or a seal in electronic format which complies with the following specifications:
      1. The overall diameter of the seal must be approximately 1 7/8 inches.
      2. The seal must contain the name of the registrant, his number of registration and conform to the following design:
        Registered Architect Seal
    2. Each plan, specification, report or other document issued by a registrant must be signed and must be sealed or stamped by him or her either manually or electronically.

    Information about sealing and signing documents

    Forms and Notices

  • Applications for Registration
  • Credit Card Authorization Form
  • Change of Address Form
  • Rules of Conduct - Architects
  • Registration Renewal Form
  • Residential Designer-Architect Agreement (required for RDs working under responsible control of architects per NRS 623.353)
  • Written Contracts Required for Registrants